The purpose of the J.L. Stangeland Memorial Scholarship is to support graduating seniors from the Dubuque Community School District in Dubuque, IA who will pursue post-secondary education. The winner of this scholarship will receive a one-time $500 honorarium to be deposited with the college or university of their choice after enrollment. The award may be used for continuing educational expenses including tuition, fees, books, room and board, and supplies directly related to the educational program in which the student is enrolled. The scholarship is not renewable.
Eligibility Requirements for Scholarship Recipients:
- Interested in pursuing a career in the fields of Environmental Science or Natural Resources
- Has displayed an interest in these fields by their involvement in clubs or activities such as scouting, 4-H, Sierra Club, etc.
- Attending a 4 year on-campus college or university (no online programs), or a 2 year program that leads to a career in environmental science or natural resources. Career examples include scientist, engineer, park ranger, or conservation officer.
- Preference for students who have financial need
- Scholarships shall be given to a Senior graduate on “even” years, and a Hempstead graduate on “odd” years, until eligible disbursements become great enough to support graduates of both schools annually
- GPA: Not specified