The Seiffert Family Teacher Appreciation Fund has been established to honor exceptional teachers at Hempstead High School in Dubuque, Iowa. The Seifferts are a family of educators. Bill Seiffert taught sociology at Hempstead for 37 years, retiring in 2010. His wife, Deb, was the librarian at Northeast Iowa Community College for 36 years, retiring in 2016. Their son, Andrew, is a music and social studies educator, and his wife, Alex, is a special education instructor, in Minnesota. Their daughter, Betsy, formerly an engineering professor in Florida, is now a research scientist at the Livermore National Research Lab in California. It is the Seiffert family wish to recognize educators who have gone above and beyond their job description to reach students and support their learning.
In light of that mission, the family has created the Seiffert Family Teacher Appreciation Award to honor teachers at Hempstead High School with dollars for:
- Purchasing items for their personal use in the classroom
- Purchasing items for their department such as guest speakers, professional development seminars, etc.
- Purchasing items that would benefit students in the classroom such as software, novels, manipulatives, etc.
- A program they feel strongly about at Hempstead, such as a club, organization, team, etc.
- A program they feel strongly about in the district
- A speaker/presenter for the student body
- A donation to a nonprofit organization of their choice.
Click here for more information.
Download the nomination form.