Jones County Community Foundation awards over $99,000 in grants to local nonprofits
The Jones County Community Foundation celebrated a successful year of community impact with donors, nonprofit leaders and community partners at its Dec. 2 grant celebration in Wyoming. Board members and staff highlighted the Foundation’s work with the Campaign for Grade-Level Reading and Vision to Learn, honored retiring Board Members Vic Hamre and Dean Zimmerman, and awarded just over $99,000 in grants to local nonprofits.
The Community Foundation received $212,000 in requests for its 2020 grant cycle. The applicants whose grants were awarded were:
- Anamosa Boosters - Concession Stand Improvement
- Cedar/Jones Early Childhood Iowa - Early Literacy Book Project
- City of Martelle Public Library - Circulation/Cataloging Station
- City of Monticello Public Library - Library Renovation & Reorganization
- Every Child Reads Jones County - Grade Level Reading Campaign
- Grant Wood Scenic Byway - Maquoketa River Regional Guide
- Jones County Community Food Bank - Shelving & Commercial Refrigerator
- Jones County EMS Association - MET Certification
- Jones County Historical Society - Lane Sealcoating
- Jones Regional Medical Center - Solar Energy Project
- Little Lion Learning Center – Olin - Play House & Storage Shed
- Monticello Vocal Treble Makers - Stage Purchase
- Oxford Junction Ambulance - Power Load Hydraulic Lift
- Oxford Junction Cemetery Assoc. - Mayflower Cemetery Tree Removal
- Sleep in Heavenly Peace – Jones Co. - Bunk Bed Build
- Vision To Learn – Jones County - Vision Services & Glasses
- Waypoint Services - Domestic Violence Safety Net Project
Grants are supported by Iowa’s County Endowment Fund Program. This initiative, unique to Iowa, makes grants to create a strong community foundation infrastructure in 84 counties like Jones that do not hold state-issued gaming licenses. The Jones County Community Foundation grants out 75% of these funds and invests the remaining 25% in a permanent endowment that generates interest to be distributed in future years.
Gifts to endowment funds at the Community Foundation are eligible for the Endow Iowa 25% State Tax Credit. Community members can contribute to endowment funds established by nonprofits, which provide sustainable sources of income for these essential community service organizations.