Training and Resources
The Community Foundation of Greater Dubuque builds strong nonprofits in our region by providing training, support and services through the McCarthy Center for Nonprofits.
Training and Education
To ensure that nonprofits are equipped to do their best work and improve our communities, the McCarthy Center provides programming throughout the year to train and educate nonprofit staff and board members on fundraising best practices and effective board governance. In addition to these unique training opportunities, CFGD staff members provide two core curriculum trainings in the Center and at local nonprofits throughout the region.
If you are interested in a special training program focused on grantwriting, fundraising or a variety of other topics, please contact us at 563-588-2700 for more information and pricing details.
Philanthropic Tools for Self-Determined Communities
In June 2014, the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) awarded a two-year, $150,000 Rural Community Development Initiative (RCDI) grant to the Community Foundation for a project aimed at building greater prosperity and sustainability in five rural communities. Staff from CFGD offered training and technical assistance to nonprofits, empowering them to take charge of their communities’ futures while inspiring others to do the same. In addition, the project built a portfolio of philanthropic tools for other rural communities to use on their pathways to greater development success.
If you would like to learn more or access tools and resources used during the project, visit philanthropictools.dbqfoundation.org.
Books and Publications
Finally, the McCarthy Center is home to a variety of books and publications on various topics regarding nonprofits. We encourage you to borrow any books that may be of interest to you. Contact 563-588-2700 to request a resource.
Additional Resources for Nonprofits
Community Foundation Forms
- Grant Request Form (PDF 51 KB)
- Community Circle of Care
- Dubuque Kids Guide
- Dubuque Resource Guide
- Iowa International Center Resources
- Inclusive Dubuque
- All About Fundraising
- Association of Fundraising Professions
- Indiana School of Philanthropy
- Mid-Iowa Planned Giving Council
- National Council of Nonprofits
- BoardSource Knowledge Center
- Foundation Center
- Free Management Library
- Iowa Council of Foundations
- The McKnight Foundation's Nonprofit Management Tool Kit
Public & Media Relations
- Public Relations, Media Relations and Reputation Management
- Social Media for Nonprofits Resource List
- Nonprofit Tech for Good
Trainings & Conferences
- Community Foundation of Greater Dubuque Events
- Dubuque Area Chamber of Commerce
- Iowa State University Extension and Outreach